The Natural Parenting Blog Party!!
- How many children do you have, and how old are they?I have six children! Two girls, and four boys! They are ages 7, 5, 5, 3, 3, and 2. (Although the 3 yos and the 2 yos celebrate birthdays in May and June!)
- Do you have a partner, or are you a single parent?I have a husband, and he’s AWESOME!
- What are your “hot button” parenting issues?Ohhh…’hot button’ like the stuff that drives me crazy and always gets my temperature up? I’m not very good at this question. Maybe my number 1 would be abortion, because technically, it’s denying a child the right to be parented, so it counts, right?
- Have you made any parenting choices that you didn’t think you would make before you were a parent, i.e. cloth diapering a child when you had previously thought it was disgusting?I wasn’t a fan of breastfeeding before I had kids… then I breastfed all six of them (including the twins!). Definitely wasn’t big on the whole ‘co-sleeping’ thing either… and yet, all six of my kids spent years sleeping with us (and the last is just moving out into his own bed.)
- Is there one book or person in particular that’s heavily influenced your parenting choices?Yeah… I think there was! Elizabeth Kruger and Raising Godly Tomatoes was a god-send to me and my family. I never understood that I could actually be a mom and respected as such and still enjoy my children at the same time before her! Crazy, right? I used to feel sorry for myself that other parents could send their kids to their rooms for a couple hours break and I couldn’t, but now I feel sorry for those parents who can’t/don’t/won’t keep their kids with them!
Lol- for example, for this post (and all the others on this blog) there is a child in my lap, a child at my feet petting the dog, two kids at the table eating a snack (about 3 feet away), a child cleaning the counter (about 15 feet away) and another reading a book in the floor (less than 10 feet away from me) . It may take me a little longer to get some things (like writing a blog) accomplished, but I can get them done, and be a mom at the same time!
- If you had to describe each of your children using only one word, what word would you use?Harmony- the Peacemaker
Forrest- the Leader
Regan- Lil’ Mommy
Elijah- the Rockstar
Gabriel- the Knight
Jude- the Goofball
- Is there one parenting decision that you regret more than others and wish you could change?Off the top of my head, there are two things. First of all, I wouldn’t have worked when Harmony was a baby and left her raising to my mom. Granted, we made the best of a bad situation, but I missed so much of her first two years that I wish I’d been there for!
Secondly, I wouldn’t have listened to people who said that I should just leave the babies to cry if it was nap-time or bedtime. I still think there are occasions when a infant needs to cry (like if they are over-tired… I know I, as an adult, want to cry when I get over-tired!!) but I just disagree with the “let ’em cry every-time you put them to bed” philosophy. I tried this with Harmony, and gave it up with Forrest and Regan… lol
- Is there an area of your parenting you wish you were better at?Well, what kind of mom would I be if there wasn’t?!? I wish I could be one of those moms who speak softly and the entire house listens… doesn’t always happen. I wish I were better at keeping everything organized… I’m decent, but I KNOW I could be better. I wish I was better at keeping everything neat and tidy… I know it’s a lofty goal, but I do wish I could keep my house from looking like a tornado came through several times a day!
- Now for the fun questions – is there one particular food or type of food that you could eat every day?Every single day? Chinese food. In any form. YUMMY!
- Vanilla ice cream or chocolate?Seriously? You even have to ask? Chocolate!
- What’s your guilty pleasure?Hummm… blogging? Playing guitar? I don’t think those are too secret. I know! Iced mocha lattes! 😉
- If you could be part of any television show, which show would it be?Any tv show? I dunno… I don’t watch tv!! Maybe Project Runway or the Martha Stewart show…. do those count?